Kalase is at a distance of around 50 kms from GundiMane. It is one of the important historical places in Sagar taluk after Ikkeri and Keladi.
The main attraction of Kalase is Twin temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, Lord Mallikarjuna Temple and Lord Neelakanteshwara Temple.
The twin temples at Kalase have been constructed in 12th century and they are the fine examples of Hoysala architecture. It is said to be constructed by father and son sculptors, Jankana and Dakkana.
These temples were constructed during 1812 AD using the stone called Somanatha Shile, the temples reveal the artistic magnificence of the Hoysala architecture. Both the temples have been built on star-shaped plinth and the roofs are also of star-shape.
Mallikarjuna Temple at Kalase:
Mallikarjuna Temple is the biggest temple at Kalase. This temple has a Garbhagriha, Sukanasi, Rangamantapa and Basavamantapa. The temple is constructed with three entrances at three directions. The uniqueness of the Mallikarjuna Temple at Kalase is except Sukanasi, the other front part of the temple built with half walls. This provides the temple with unique brightness.
The Neelakanteshwara Temple is about 30 feet away from Mallikarjuna Temple. The temple features a Gopura atop Garbhagriha. You can also see the statue of Goddess Bhuvaneshwari and the emblem of Hoysalas. The walls on either side of the main entrance have been carved with statues related to Vatsayana Kamasutra.
This temple was built during 1218 AD, when Baleyanna Pergade, the Mandalika of Hoysala Second Veeraballala, ruled this place. This region was called as Kundanadu or Kodanadu at that time. After Baleyanna this place was ruled by Beeradevarasa. Later, when Vijayanagara Dynasty was established, Samrat Krishna Devaraya gifted this place to Keladi King Chaudappa Nayaka.
Apart from these temples, you can also see an very old port in the forest around these temples in Kalase with wells, ponds and the drainage system of that time.
Kalase is well connected by road network. It is situated at a distance of 8 km from Sagar town and one has to travel along Soraba Road for 6 km and take a diversion in Ulavi road at the place a name board mentioning Kalase is seen and from this place it is just 1 km journey into the village.