Bhuvanagiri in Siddapur taluk, is at a distance of around 38 kms from GundiMane. It is the only place in the entire state where a temple is dedicated to the State deity Bhuvaneshwari Devi.
Situated atop the 300 feet tall Bhuvanagiri, the three centuries old temple can be reached after an ascent of 350 steps. The temple deity is worshiped on all days of the year, complete with naivedya and abhisheka, accompanied with the chanting of mantras. Surrounded by lush greenery on all sides, the age-old temple is a feast for the eyes.
A casual glance at the rich historical past of the temple is enough to recognise the significance of the place. Though the idea of a temple dedicated to Bhuvaneshwari Devi was conceived by the Kadambas, the rulers of Vijayanagar carried it forward, so much so that they would not venture out without paying their obeisance to the deity.
Bilagi kingdom spread from Gangavali river in Uttara Kannada district to Gangolli river in Udupi district. Since the rulers of Bilagi were both valiant and great admirers of Kannada language, a temple was built in dedication to Bhuvaneshwari Devi.
There is ample evidence to suggest that the temple was built in 1692 by Basavendra, the last ruler of Bilagi. Since the area is populated by people belonging to the Havyaka community, the temple administration is taken care of by them.